Tuesday, March 8, 2011

An Empty Canvas

Psalm 139:15 (Message)
"You know me inside and out, You know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something."

The psalmist is acknowledging here God's intensive knowledge of our live. He knows us inside and out. He knows all of our limitations. He knows all of our insecurities. He knows all of our failures. On the other hand, He knows all of our gifts, all of our strengths and all of our successes.

How? He knows exactly how we were made! We were formed with His purpose in mind! Everything about our makeup was intentional.

But the most touching thing about this psalm is the final line. "I was sculpted from nothing into something." There are many times when we feel the "nothingness." Our lives seem to tank, we feel as though we can't get it right but we can take solace in the fact that He is taking us from nothingness and making us into something!

As a child we used to sing a chorus that said it all:

Something beautiful, something good
All my desires He understood
All I had to offer Him was brokenness and strife
But He made something beautiful of my life.

I want to remind us today that God is in the midst of making something of your life. You may not see it from where you stand but hang on to hope that He who began a good work in you WILL complete it!

My prayer today comes from a worship chorus that Pastor Clint Brown wrote. Maybe you can find yourself praying this as well...

My life is Your canvas, so paint
I tried it on my own and it turned out all wrong
So with Your hands of mercy and gentle hands of grace
You select each color, fill in every space
I don't want to risk it to fate
My life is Your canvas, so paint

No comments:

Post a Comment